Friday, February 1, 2008

Creative Writing Questions I

1. Reading for a writer is like listening to music for a musician. Reading is important because it gives writers ideas for their own stories, the writers enjoy reading stories and it can bring about new styles of writing to writers. Writers throughout the ages haven't always come up with completely new ideas. For example, West Side Story is the story about Romeo and Juliet except it has gangs that dance around and sing to eachother and pretend to fight. The author of West Side Story must've read Shakspeare in order to come up with that plot. Also like music, writers like reading stories. A musician likes to listen to different styles of music and enjoys the music because they know so much about music. The same goes for writers, they like to read for enjoyement because they know the writing aspect so well.

2. Something that I see in the world that conerns me is the amount of stubborness in people. Especially when someone does something wrong to another. Essentially that is what drama, especially the "high school" drama is all about. Someone says something, and they are so stubborn they do not take responsibility for what they do. Instead they stick by their comment and stubbornly try to defend it and avoid the problem. This only leads to tears in friendships and relationships.

3. One piece of writing that inspired me was the book Redwall. At first i thought it was kind of weird because it is about a mouse warrior who goes and finds a legendary sword and saves the abby. It really stuck to me because it was a simple adventure book but done is such a magnificant way. It contributes all different aspects of a true adventure story into it. There is a bad guy, a good guy, a superior weapons of some sort and a final showdown. And best of all, it wasn't farfechted (besides the fact that it was animals instead of humans). And I thought the idea was really cool, to have all the different types of animals who have certain attributes do certain tasks. Overall it was well put together.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oki Doke. I like your analogy in the first question, but not as much as I liked the West Side reference. Good point. Your second question just makes me laugh; I concur. And lastly I love the Redwall books. They were fairly simple, but intriguing at the same time. I read Matemeo and did a drama on it in 6th grade that involved me wearing a mouse costume. In case you wondered. The end.

Catie said...

Alrighty! Surprisingly I finally got around to doing this woot! Well I really liked how you compared music and writers that was good. I also liked your Drama scenario. Thats totally true stubberness (I know how to spell it just don't feel like correcting myself)for sure leads to drama. No one ever wants to fess up to something especially if they said something wrong and it started a rumor. Who wants to fess up after its been spread around the whole school. That is why high school sucks cause people just make way too big a deal out of things. People just need to take a chill pill and fess up to what they say and not be stubborn about it.

Dan M. said...

For the first question I agree totally, a person in a certain "art" I guess I should say needs to study their peers. As for question two, I believe certain stubbornness is sometimes beneficial but as in the case you described it is quite stupid. The Redwall series rocks!!

Jared said...

I really agree with two things in your post: 1. People in similar industries or working environments become familiar with the work of their peers. 2. People are WAY too stubborn. Sometimes people just need to grow up and say "hey, I'm being a(n) _______. That would make the world so much better.