Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Creative Wrirting II

1. Theme is important to a piece of writing because it is what give the story meaning. It sets what the story line will be about, it influences where and when the story takes place and what type of characters are present in the story. A great piece of writing does need to express and idea to the reader, otherwise it seems like the story has almost no point at all. For example, if the story of The Aeneid didn't portray as many points as it does, then the book would be pretty dull because all of the events that influence the theme would be taken out. In return the book would be very boring the reader couldn't think about or ponder what the book actually means.

2. The theme of my play could be Epic Battles. It is important to me because I tend to fight epic battles everyday, whether it be mentally, maybe physically(usually not) or within a relationship. I also think that epic battles portray an underlying theme of fighting for what you believe in. I think that is important because if there is nothing to fight for, then life seems much more dull. One thing that might be misunderstood is that Epic Battles are a bad thing, but I view them as a wonderful thing. Luckily in these epic battles no one gets killed. In most epic battles througout life people usually learn things. For example, in Lord of the Rings, Aragorn had to fight an epic battle against a bunch of orcs. Besides winning the battle, he learned he had to take his rightful spot as king of Gondor. This can translate to real life, but without the killing of orcs.

3. A conflict that could appear in my play would be the epic battle of surviving in the world today. One story that I've experienced could be the main conflict for this play. Sang Li is a sixty year old man who has had many epic battles and learned many things through them. I will just talk about one epic battle he experienced and that was his journey to America. After leaving Vietnam during the Vietnam War he had to come to America and try to make a living. This alone is an epic battle in itself. He had some conflicts, he barely could speak english (if any at all) and he didn't know how the American economy had worked. His epic battle was still under way when I met him at place called R.E.S.T. He learned to be patient and also taught me to patient with others in the short time I met him. This bit of an epic battle could be a conflict and part of a resolution to the problem.

6 comments:

Jared said...

Unlike other members in our group, I believe that theme is important, too. Stories can't be considered great unless they have a meaningful theme. I also like your idea of Epic Battles. We all fight epicly everyday to live...

Elizabeth said...

bummer, at a glance I thought the Aeneid said Aladdin, and I was excited. I still think it's cool that you read the Aeneid though cause it's the foundation of Dante's Inferno. I agree that a great story needs to express an idea to the reader, (cough cough Jared), but I still believe that it's ambigous. I like your ideas for your play..I just want to see how it all ends up turning out. Lord of the Rings is amazing--happy Vantine's Day.

Elizabeth said...

So I'm pretty sure that I didn't read your third question when I commented, but i just saw it and that actually sounds like a really cool conflict/plot idea. I'm impressed with the idea. If you decide not to do your musical idea..you should go for this one.

Jared said...

Yup, I'm back... This is my third post today (see Liz's and Dan's blogs). I have an idea: epic battles with actual fighting are very interesting for an audience to watch, but imagine an epic battle between a person and HIMSELF (or herself) mentally, during an epic battle with actual fighting. I know it sounds crazy, but it could work. The more battles, the better (right?). So ya. That would be awesome.

Catie said...

Well I am sorry for my late posting I apologize. And please inform me on what kind of epic battles we fight? But I do agree on theme that is exactly what I was trying to point out in my post. But theme I liked how you talked about how theme was essential for character and plot development very true.

Dan M. said...

That conflict could set up a very interesting play. I don't think may plays are wrote about Viet Nam. Well I know you didn't write it about this but I think it would be intriguing.