Monday, February 25, 2008

Creative Writing Post III

1. I thought writing the play was a fun activity. It was definitely time consuming and took a lot of thought but overall the play writing went well. I found it especially hard to finish the play. I had five pages of the play, the required page amount, and I was about to finish the play, but it was hard to have a finish that is so short. I ended up setting up the ending in another five pages and wrapped it all up in the last page. That's what I found most difficult, was showing the reader the thoughts in which the writer really wants to convey.

2. If I could give advice to someone, it would be to a five year old. I would say to him, now don't people walk all over you. And then he probably would say, what does that mean? I would respond, well it means, don't let people use you for their own pleasures. You [five year old] must be able to stand a lone and be perfectly fine. Then the little five year old would try to take it to heart, but since he is only five years old wouldn't remember it much. Another piece of advice I would give him would be about humility. I would tell him to not think of himself as "superior" than others. Even though he may be better at certain things than them, he should still stay humble and know that people have their own talents. He then would try to take that advice to heart. Then the five year old would ask for a piece of candy, and I would give him a kit-kat.

3. Well I think that great works of literature last because of their relevance to the time period they were written in. For example, The Aeneid by Vergil has a ton of alliterations to events during Augustus's ruling time, that it would be almost impossible to count. Also that he wrote it all in poetic form is quite impressive. I also think that a good story lasts a long time. Like Lord of the Rings. It is essentially a whole new world that was made by Mr. Tolkein. These stories and relevance to the time is what sticks to people. I would most likely never be able to write a great piece of literature, although there is a sliver of hope for a chance to write a great piece of literature, but highly improbable.

3 comments:

Mr. Miles said...

I could see you writing something great. It just takes time and energy to develop yourself to the point where you can do things of that nature--be it music or writing or whatever.

Dan M. said...

I also found it difficult to find the ending of the play. I just didn't know how to end it so I think mine ended quite abruptly. That advice is very good and an important thing in life you ever want to get anywhere. With people controlling you, you can never do anything for yourself. Its possible for anyone to write a great peice of literature it just takes drive and your whole lifes devotion.

Elizabeth said...

You made a really good point with your examples of great literature and the reasoning behind why they are great literature. Lord of the Rings is pretty timeless I must say. 2 1 4 73546t 446326tfrefcdswdsadwdeer554546565 gh67876987ryrft454353hfbfggry6tyr46eg5446yt454t654hy56650. I would laugh pretty hard to see you giving that five year old advice. And your play was pretty sweet. particuarly that first line...

I'll give you a hint, it was spoken by an inaminate object.