Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Double Trouble

I thought the movie Double Indemnity was a very interesting movie. I liked how it portrayed all of the classic features of a film noir, with the low key lighting, the narrative, and the talk like he was a detective. I think this movie brought out the essence of film noir. But after the movie was done, i wasn't satisfied with the ending. We had seen the whole movie that he was an evil guy, who was trying to manipulate people and an insurance system to try and gain a lot of money, and a girl. But in the end he decides to make a drastic choice. If he would've been following down the same path has he had been throughout the whole movie, then in the end he would've blamed the whole thing on Zachetti, and gotten away with the murder. But, he decides to send Zachetti off to fix his relationship and in the end will bring the downfall of his own life. This seems very odd to me because the author decided to almost completely change the main, deceitful character in the end. But why? Was he trying to get a message across, or was it just part of the movie? I personally think it was both. I think he was trying to get the message across of what happens when you try to cover-up two murders. But I also think that he wanted to add some kind of twist on the end of the movie, to give the audience something to think about. And i think the director did a great job at portraying both. And, in the end I think that film noir teaches us a lesson, whether it means to or not. So, I stand by with my comment that Double Indemnity is the essence of film noir.

No comments: