Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Creative Writing Blog V

1. I think stories are very important in childhood because they allow the child's immagination to run free. Most of us when we were little kids probably had a wild immagination and maybe even an imaginary friend. The stories allow the kids to go into their immagination and pretend they are a hero going to save a princess or a little kid who has to escape an island of monsters.

2. When you get older people start to relate to the stories. People take events from their own lives and relate them to the lives of the people in the story. Older people may read stories to fuel their immagination but it seems mostly as entertainment or to create a relation of their own lives to the story. Also, usually with the main hero, people want to become that person, they may forget part of their life which is boring or dull and image that they are the hero and going through the fun adventures.

3. Stories in the nation are kind of like legends. For example the story of George Washington and how he turned a bunch of farm boys to defeat a world power in the Revolutionary War. Stories of the underdog winning is a popular theme in America because America is known as the country with the phrase "rags to riches." Those types of stories is what seems to fuel the desire for stories in our nation. Stories allow people to do the impossible. What we normally may not beable to do in the real world we can make into a story.

4. One story that stands out in my is when I threw a rock at the playground and it accidently hit our car window. My mom was furious and I didn't even mean to hit the car. This story stands out to me because it was a time when I felt guilty of doing something but also terrified for my punishment. I usually connect this story to people who didn't mean to do anything wrong but accidentaly created a problem and get punished for it.

5. Characters should have depth
Characters should be developed throughout the story bit by bit till we know the whole story
The story should have time a place and have that time and place explained and set up
The story should have more than one conflict
The story should be somewhat realistic and not completely farfetched
The Characters should have their own style of talking and acting
The conflict should make sense and have a resolution that makes sense to the conflict
The Story should have some mystery until the end when the resolution is revealed

2 comments:

Jared said...

I agree with numbers 1 and 2. Kids love using their imagination and stories that they are told give them new ideas to explore. As I got older, I did realize that I related stories to my life more also.

Catie said...

I like all your posts, very nice and semi intelligent. Stories do allow are minds to explore and enhance our imagination, more or less when we are younger. I do feel like now I can find more meaning in the stories.